January 26, 2012

REVIEW: Kindle Fire-Pros, or why I like my Deedah Fire

I was going to take some pics but I decided you can find pics all over the web. Which also leads to my first Pro-

No camera: while some may see this as a con, I don't.
I have a $350 Canon that I used almost daily with the five grandbrats. Then, I got a smart phone, now that same camera is collecting dust in the corner of my room, only to be brought out for special pictures, or, worse, when the phone died, probably from all those damn pictures I take. I don't normally have my tablet in my hand, for those goofy, hurry or your going to miss it shots, or right next to me for those, MiMi look what I can do shots.But my good old trusty smart phone, always with me. Well except when it's on that damn charger!

I bought my Fire for one main reason, to hold my pdf  knitting patterns so every time I want to knit something I don't have to print it out, or worse, try and find the previous print out. (yeah I generally give up after 30 seconds and just print it out again) Thereby saving myself ink and paper. (This is the argument I gave PB, and he seemed to think it was a sound investment!)
I am after all, first and foremost, a knitter. We must keep our priorities straight! :0)

I like the fact that it doesn't have all the buttons all around the thing on the outside.
And for those whining because the speaker volume button isn't on the outside of the unit, REALLY! Is that all you have to bitch about. I categorize those people right beside what ever idiot will take a beloved cartoon movie and watch it frame by frikkin' frame to see if they can spot the devil lurking in the background trying to hypnotize their 3 year old into stealing all their money and making off in the family car.

Amazon has loads and loads of apps for the kindle, and!, you get one free paid app a day. From what I hear it's not all those dumb ass apps that you wouldn't get even if they were free, but real honest to goodness, worth every penny apps. I like free ;0)
If Amazon doesn't have what you want, there are butt loads of websites where you can download other apps to your Kindle, one of which is GetJar.com They are frikkin loaded with apps. Check it out, just make sure the fish are fed and the cat is in and the dog is out before you visit their website, you are going to be there a while.

I have already purchased a knitting magazine subscription. It would be awesome if Interweave let you do this because it is DA' BOMB! The formatting is good, the pictures are great, and, yes here we go again, I don't have to print out the pattern, just turn on my Fire!

DD#1 set up her netflix account on my Fire so I can watch it anytime, anywhere. Hmm... wonder if they have the first episodes of Dexter? I think I missed something about the brother.... but anyway. The graphics are great on video. I am not going to lie, it's a little bit sticky when you first start the movie, has something to do with buffering, or bumping and grinding or something like that. It straightens out fairly quickly, and lets face it, who the hell likes to watch the beginning credits anyway. Unless your name is up there, then it would just be you and your Mom.

I love the fact that it fits in my one little bitty hand. I don't have to hold it like a lunch tray. Which goes along with the earlier EPIPHANY from yesterday's post.

You can pretty much see the screen anyway you look at it without too much of a problem. Now granted I haven't tried direct sunlight. I don't plan on being in any direct sunlight, do you know how frikkin' hot it gets here? Your tablet would immediately become a pile of sweating electronics that could fry the guts, which makes the direct sunlight a moot point doesn't it.

There is not mic on this thing, but the way I see it, without the camera, what the hell you need a mic for anyway. The speakers are pretty good tho, but better on headphones, which is great when you don't want anyone to hear you listening to Dane Cook videos.

There is no 3G, but WIFI is the way to go, it's a whole hell of a lot cheaper and you can just about snatch any signal out of the air and ride it. I keep my 3g on my phone turned on, because I have a top of the line 4G smart phone that should pick up 3G effortlessly, ummm... sorry Ma'am, that everywhere but where you live!. So what good is it if, even tho they advertise 3G everywhere, it's not. I did accidentally pick it up once when we were in Ga. but as soon as I went, WOW it was gone. Kinda like a one night stand without all the fun.

All in all, so far, I like it for what I bought it for. I didn't want an Ipad, I thought I did, until I saw the side by side pics of the two. It looks like a lunch tray when you hold it, or you have to put it in your lap, on the table, on something. I can use my Kindle Fire on a crowded bus in standing room only! So there!
All the griping and complaining are from those who have, or wanted an Ipad. Once again.... come on do I really need to say it again?

No comments:

Getting back in the groove

It's been so long since I have wanted to knit anything.  I knit so many socks when I started knitting back in '99 that I was comp...