November 12, 2014

Charitable Knitting ..........Maybe


 

I would love to be one of those awesome knitters who just knit away for charity but................
every year I start dreaming of patterns and whittling down that huge pile of 'forgotten zone' yarn.
I want to knit hats for homeless people,blankets for homeless pets, socks for the military, though sweaters for penguins never really clicked for me.

I get the idea, I get super excited about it, I plan, I pick out yarns and patterns....................
Yeah, usually that's about as far as it goes.

I don't know why I don't just make that push on through. I just don't.
I come up with every excuse in the book why I don't have time to knit and donate.
I knit, someone sees it and wants it and I give it to them instead of the intended charity.
Or worse, (yes I'll admit it) even keep it for myself.
I just absolutely suck at charitable knitting!
Though I could try and make myself feel better with the whole, "I gave it to someone who couldn't knit", thing. But that's not exactly the same is it?

I know once I actually accomplish knitting an item and donating it that the feeling would be awesome. I just haven't gotten to that point yet.

I saw the blizzards starting (already!) up north and that made me think about all of this. Why? Who the hell knows, but it did.  So now I am on an online hunt for the one project I want to get involved in.
I'm not going to lie about it, it's going to have to be small projects. Hats for the homeless maybe. There is no sense in me pretending I am going to take on huge awesome and very worthy charity knitting like sweaters and blankets for the homeless. Tho I would love to that will have to wait until I get old enough to get bored sitting around the house too much. Right now, that is definitely not my life.

Maybe by starting with something small and sticking with it I will get the bug and it will blossom and grow into more.

I went on a web hunt this morning and found a website that looks like it will be a great starting point for me.
KnittingforCharity.org

I'm going to have a looksee and get back to you......


No comments:

Getting back in the groove

It's been so long since I have wanted to knit anything.  I knit so many socks when I started knitting back in '99 that I was comp...