October 2, 2014

Video killed the radio star

I have been surfing around the web lately, checking out all the knitting and crafty blogs that used to be out there. Over half of them are unused anymore.

I know I fell into the same rut, not posting on the blog, sticking mainly to Facebook, Pintrest and Twitter, and lord let's not forget Instagram.

That got me to thinkin', has social media done away with the normal everyday  routine blogger? Not the business blogger, who wants to sell you something, or the professional blogger, just the normal everyday, run of the mill blogger who put out most of their lives onto a blog that was more for themselves and friends than the need for anyone else to see it.

With social media it is instant gratification when you post something.

You post a question and sit, waiting sometimes not so patiently for a reply. You post how you are feeling today and it is instant sympathy or excitement.

I think that is what happened to me and my blog. But now I am going old school.

I went thumbing through my blog last night and saw some posts that were absolutely nostalgic. I laughed and teared up and rolled my eyes. It was a definite trip down memory lane.

Now of course you can do that on FB and all the other social media sights, but a blog is so much more in depth about what you were thinking and feeling. Social media has cut the conversations down to short snippets of who we really are and what we really feel and think about a situation.

I like my blog, I am going to make use of  my blog. I will hug it and squeeze it and call it George.

Will you still see me on social media, well duh! I'm not a a recluse. But this is where I am going to hang out and have fun.



Which all brings me, in no short route, to this video.

When I was thinking about all this last night, this song went round and round in my head.

Different premise, same idea.

Social media is killing the everyday blogger. (I'm sure you are wishing it had squashed my own little part of the blogging world by now) but hey, there's a back button around here somewhere if you need it.

                                                                        

No comments:

Getting back in the groove

It's been so long since I have wanted to knit anything.  I knit so many socks when I started knitting back in '99 that I was comp...