September 6, 2008

Wow! What an egg

We have 12 chickens, 8 Americanas and 4 Golden Wyndots. They are only about 5 months old

but one of the bunch has decided to start laying early.
And look what she surprised us with the day after Gustav blew thru!

The egg on the left is about normal for just starting to lay, the one on the right, well all I can say is, now I know why she was complaining more than normal ;0)
I haven't broken it open yet, but it has got to be one of the heaviest eggs I have ever gotten out of the chicken pen.
We don't have to worry about developing chicks, no rooster, it's just a huge!

1 comment:

AnnJ said...

WOW what an egg you should find what chicken layed it and pair her with a roaster who's type also produces large egg type. get a bunch of hens who lay huge eggs like that. Your one blue egg is from the easter egg type hen. They lay soft green,blue,yellow,pink eggs.
I think you know what I'm trying to convay right. We had chickens a few times with the intent to have the easter egg hens to get the colored eggs, and each time I ended up with all roasters not a one hen. So at least you have hens.good right. The other time our neighbor took my hen & chicks.

Getting back in the groove

It's been so long since I have wanted to knit anything.  I knit so many socks when I started knitting back in '99 that I was comp...