September 18, 2017

Loving garter stitch blankets More pics

So.... I was at Wally World for like the tenth time in a week and had a minute to spare so, as my usual, I go back and check out the cotton yarn for cloths and bibs and such. Sometimes they have a colorway I just love and have to have, most times not ;0(, but I digress.
I came upon an endcap filled with this awesome yarn.
Lion Brand Mandala, did you know about this yarn?!? If you did, why didn't you tell me about this yarn ?!?
I wanted to find something I could make BB a blanket out of that wouldn't be so overwhelmingly girly but still be sweet. Bam! Here it is!

I couldn't wait to cast on! So when I finally got home, I had to finish up the Tweetypie bib before I could cast on anything else. (self imposed rules) So, with a little help from her Majesty, Protector of all things yarny, I finished the bib.

It will look much better once I wash and block it. But for now, I followed my own rules and it's off the needles.
I cast on 170 sts, on size 7 circs and went to town on some t.v. knitting. I love this colorway. There is plenty of yardage in each color so I wasn't getting stripes of colors but whole blocks.



As the monster grew and grew, I started to realize that this was going to be waaaayyyy to big for a baby blanket. One that could easily be carried around with a baby and all accompanying equipment.
But it is way to pretty to rip out and start over. So I made an executive decision to finish the first skein of yarn, leave it on the needles and start the second skein for a more baby mama friendly blanket. This blanket will be finished as soon as all the BB work is done. It will now be Sissy B's Christmas blanket. I haven't knit anything for Sissy since she was about two years old, so it's time. 
The second try was on size 6 needles with 120 sts. I love this blanket. It is the perfect size and the blocks of color are awesome. With the yardage I'm getting out of this yarn, I don't think it is going to take much more than this one skein. If it does, it won't be but a smidge.


There is only one thing I do not like about this yarn. Small thing really. Both skeins had ends tied together, not far into the first color out of the center. That little strand you see sticking out there in the last picture? That's where they tied it on the second skein. I don't care for that at all, but not a deal breaker. 
Otherwise, I love this yarn. 
And garter stitch....................don't get me started about my love for garter stitch blankets!

No comments:

Getting back in the groove

It's been so long since I have wanted to knit anything.  I knit so many socks when I started knitting back in '99 that I was comp...