Saturday, November 1, 2008

Toddler Tube Socks

I found this pattern on the internet:
Tube Socks
And decided to tweak it a bit to fit the Grandbrat.
The design is almost the same
Here is what I did




Materials:
Sock Yarn, leftovers
Size 2 dpns
CO 48 sts and join to knit in the round
Do 15 rounds of K2P2 ribbing
Then K6 P6 around for 10"
K6, k2tog around
K one round
K5, k2tog around
K one round
K4, k2tog around
K3, k2tog around
K2, k2tog around
K1, k2tog around
K2tog around
cut yarn leaving an 18" tail, thread yarn through a darning needle and draw through remainign stitches. Weave in on the inside of the sock and there you have it.
This was not my idea, but the idea of the original pattern writer, I just downsized it.
Isaac's foot at 4 years old is 6.4", for Bella who is 2 and a half, but tiny, I would CO 42 and Trin who is a year old I would CO 36, and for newborns, 24.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. ;0)

5 comments:

sheila said...

The socks turned out great! I wish that I had the patience to knit them. I have only made a fews pairs of socks, I can't "commit" to 2...after the first one is done, I am done too!

Deb said...

Thanks for sharing how to do this in different sizes.

Tammie Zemler said...

I have grandkids across the states. One is 3 and the other is 2 with one more due in October. It would be great if you would put the LENGTH of these socks with your various sizes.

I have made the socks with the heals and gussets and they out grow them very quickly no matter how much bigger I make them Would be great to know length to adjust to wear longer.

Also a helpful hint for those with wood and tiled floors. I use the knobby material used to make sleeper jammies. I cut and oval about the size of the bottom of the kids' feet and hand sew it on the bottom of each sock. This gives them the gripper power on these surfaces and allow them to still wear them as they grow.

I am in process of my first sock of this pattern and am excited to make an easier sock.

Tammie

Tammie Zemler said...

I have made socks with heals in the past and they are time consuming with two ever growing grandsons. Since they live in several states I don't have them near me to make sure the socks fit while knitting.

It would be great if you would include sock length with the various sizes. Then I can decide how long to make them as I knit.

A helpful hint for those who use them as slippers and have wood or tile floors. Use the knobby material used to make footed jammies. 1/2 yard will make many pair. Cut an oval to fit the bottom of the foot. Whip stitch them on and you are set. This will still work as they grow but may need to put a longer oval.

Tammie Zemler said...

I have made socks with heals in the past and they are time consuming with two ever growing grandsons. Since they live in several states I don't have them near me to make sure the socks fit while knitting.

It would be great if you would include sock length with the various sizes. Then I can decide how long to make them as I knit.

A helpful hint for those who use them as slippers and have wood or tile floors. Use the knobby material used to make footed jammies. 1/2 yard will make many pair. Cut an oval to fit the bottom of the foot. Whip stitch them on and you are set. This will still work as they grow but may need to put a longer oval.

Tammie