February 14, 2012

Top Down Encore Jacket for Triniti is finsihed


 Pin It
I have noticed a growing trend in patterns recently on Ravelry, and anywhere else you can order patterns. They are getting waaayyy to expensive. Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem buying a pattern. The one above is a purchased pattern. But it was also a respectable price. 

What I have noticed is that the same pattern for, say a pair of socks, three years ago would have cost you anywhere from $2.50 to $3.00 depending on the designer and the detail, that pattern now is going to run you about $7.00 or heaven forbid, I've seen some for $10.

I understand that designers need to make a profit, but really, has the price of creating a pdf file went up so much that it costs more to create a downloadable pattern? 

This Top Down Encore jacket above, $3.99. Now to me that is worth it. It has multiple sizes, and had I seen it a year ago, this one pattern would have lasted me through four stages of grandkidom.
To me it would have been worth it at $5. But $10? No, I would have hunted around the internet until I found a free pattern that looks just like it. Knitters are a crafty bunch, someone, somewhere can look at your pattern and figure out how you did it, then post a free pattern for everyone to share.

And OMG don't tell me I can't sell something from a pattern I bought from you! That drives me nuts! It's my pattern once I buy it, mine to use, work with and do with MY finished product what I want!
Don't freak out, I don't sell my knitting, then it would just be work. 
But come on, there are way to many free patterns on the internet to tell me what I can and can't do with my own knitting. 
You sold me the pattern, not the yarn, the time to knit it and the finished project. 
How would we all be if yarn designers said, you can knit with my new colorway but you can not sell anything knit with my colorway! Really!

No comments:

Getting back in the groove

It's been so long since I have wanted to knit anything.  I knit so many socks when I started knitting back in '99 that I was comp...